I heated up a pan with a little oil and then added some onions. I used about 1/3 of a cup diced onion. Then I added some garlic powder and oregano. I let that soften for a few minutes. Next I tossed in the ground turkey and let that cook entirely.
Meanwhile, I washed the zucchini and then sliced them lengthwise to create little boats out of them.
Once the turkey was cooked I added in tomato sauce and the zucchini guts. I let this cook together for about 5 minutes. I used jar tomato sauce it was garlic and onion flavor I believe...I also tossed in some fresh basil that I chopped.
I took the zucchini and placed them next to each other in the baking dish. I tried to fill the boats with the mixture but it spilled all over the dish. Then I thought of making this next time with almost lasagna style... just an idea... So I filled the boats the rest of the way and then covered it with cheese. I put it in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. I broiled it for the last few minutes so the cheese was golden and gooey.
Verdict? Tasty stuffed zucchinis! This was a very filling meal and would be great for a side dish or part of a potluck.
2 Large zucchini, cut in half
1 lb ground turkey (I had a little left over)
1/4 cup diced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- In frying pan soften onion and garlic. Add ground turkey and cook together until done.
- Make zucchini boats by scooping out the middle of the zucchinis. Put the boats in the baking dish.
- Add the sauce and zucchini guts into the frying pan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into the boats. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes until cheese is melted and turning golden brown.