Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dad's Pulled Pork


My dad makes a great slow cooker pulled pork so I decided to give it a shot! This is a spicy and sweet BBQ sauce pulled pork.

I did a half batch, 2.5 lbs of boneless roast pork. You can use pork shoulder too.

Combine everything into the crock pot. 8-9 hours on low, 4-5 hours on high. I did about 6-7 hours of some variation of low and high.
Spices

Cover the pork with the soupy mixture
Pork is tender and starting to break apart when you jab it with a fork

Take it out and use forks to pull it apart/shred it
Put it back into the broth
Garlic butter grilled Kaiser rolls!
I melted a pat of butter with a little less than a 1/4 tsp of garlic powder in a frying pan. Raise the heat to about 7 and then put the buns in the pan for about 3-4 minutes, until they are golden and crunchy.

Look at that!!!
Normally we serve it burrito style on a tortilla with white rice and Mexican style shredded cheese and then grilled. And this is wonderful. However, when N. and I went to lunch at Woodstock Inn in Woodstock NH, we had pulled pork served on garlic butter grilled rolls.

So, for burritos I would keep the beans and corn. If I want to serve it on rolls, I would omit the beans and corn.

UPDATE 3/9/13: Used boneless pork loin pieces, very tender.

Dad's Pulled Pork
makes enough for 8-10 sandwiches

½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp Red pepper flakes
1 tbsp Cayenne
1 tbsp Black pepper
12 oz Coke
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 cup ketchup
4 ½ lbs roast pork, pork shoulder...
28 oz of black beans (drained)
1 can corn (drained)
Combine all ingredients and marinate overnight in the fridge.
10 h on low
Pull it apart
Put it back in and make make sandwiches or burritos!

No comments:

Post a Comment