Monday, July 9, 2012

Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Spinach

I was looking for something tasty to make for dinner and I found this recipe. Of course, this is my version of it.

I went to the store and picked up some of the ingredients and got to work!
There aren't always spices on hand when I'm cooking, so my go to trick is to buy Italian chicken sausage. It has all the spices you need!. I purchased some mild chicken sausage, (I used 3 of the 5 in the package) took it out of the casing (because that's what always happens when I try to slice it...) and tossed it into a hot frying pan.

I couldn't find the jars of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, so I went to the olive bar/salad bar in the grocery store and picked out a few maybe a 1/4 cup and then grabbed 2 cloves of garlic out of the tomato and mozzarella salad mix. This was perfect because I didn't end up with any leftovers! I rough chopped those and added them into frying pan.

Next I sliced up the zucchini into circles and added it to the frying pan. While that is cooking up and being stirred on occasion, I boiled and cooked half a box of pasta.

The pasta and veggies finished cooking around the same time. So I added half a bag of baby spinach and the drained pasta to the frying pan. I added black pepper and some salt to taste.

Now was the really making things up part. I couldn't find the marscapone cheese at the grocery store so I purchase plain Greek yogurt and a lemon. But for the sake of this story, I combined the juice of 1/2 a lemon with the container of yogurt and used half in the dish. I added some pasta water to thin it out as well.

Honestly, I think it would have been just as tasty drizzled with olive oil and lemon. I would try that next time. Others have suggested Parmesan cheese too.

Overall? I loved the meal! I'd make it again, especially since it takes about 20 minutes!!


Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Spinach
Makes approx 3-4 servings

Olive oil 
3 mild Italian spiced chicken sausage, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1/3 c chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 zucchini, sliced
8 oz baby spinach
8oz of pasta
Lemon juice

Heat oil in a frying pan. Add sausage and garlic. When mostly cooked through add sun dried tomatoes and zucchini.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to box instructions. Take out 2 minutes early.
When pasta is done add to frying pan with spinach.
Coat with olive oil and lemon juice.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment