Friday, July 13, 2012

Pasta with zucchini and eggplant in a basil tomato sauce

I love learning new things! I finally prepared an eggplant as you are supposed to!! What does that mean? It means, there was no funky/bitter after taste, just tender eggplant. Nom!

I followed the directions from here. It is the section called, "Salt for best flavor."

I sliced the eggplant and put it in a strainer, then I poured lots of salt over it, and let it sit for about 45 minutes. Then I rinsed it really well, if you don't you will end up with a few very salty pieces. If it is going into a sauce you'll probably be fine, but if you were going to fry it I'd take more care.

On to the rest of the meal! Inspiration came from this site. Boiled some water for the pasta. Heated some oil in a pan. When the pan was hot I added in the zucchini and the eggplant. This cooks fairly quickly, maybe 5-7 minutes. The zucchini and eggplant start to become so tender!
Without Ricotta cheese

Then I added about 1 cup of tomato sauce (jar, Tomato, Garlic, & Onion), red pepper flakes, and some fresh basil leaves. Yes, I have recently acquired a basil plant. Let me know if you need some leaves!

Because I was being creative and because I had it in the fridge, I also added in a 1/3 cup of ricotta cheese. It was yummy. I made it without the ricotta, still tasty!

If sauce is too thick add some pasta water a little at a time until you reach the desired consistency.

Add pasta to the sauce and voila! Dinner is ready!



Pasta with Zucchini and Eggplant in a Basil Tomato Sauce
Makes 2 servings

1 1/2 cup of pasta
Olive oil
1/2 med zucchini (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
1/2 small eggplant
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves

Cook pasta according to directions
Heat oil in frying pan. Add zucchini and eggplant. When tender, 5-7 minutes, add tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, and basil. Combine with pasta.

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment