Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Barefoot Contessa's Shortbread Cookies

Shortbread cookies can be a great snack or an elegant dessert depending if you use cookie cutters or not. This recipe is very straight forward and with a little tweaking you can make this recipe your own! The original recipe is Barefoot Contessa and can be found here.

The only change I make with the recipe is I use whatever nuts I have on hand (hazelnut, pecans, walnuts, etc) and I use 2 tsp of vanilla extract instead of 1 since I omit the almond extract. The pecan version tastes like pecan sandies!

In my mixer I combine the butter and sugar, then vanilla extracts. In a separate bowl I mix the flour and the salt.
Then I add the flour mix into the mixer. Add the nuts and mix until it starts to come together. I find it is a little crumbly at this stage, like coarse sand size pieces.
If I am going to roll out shapes I shape the dough into flat disk in the plastic wrap. If I want to slice them I will shape it into logs into the plastic wrap. I let the dough chill about 30 minutes. After I slice or roll the dough out to make shapes.

Sometimes it is still a little crumbly but squeeze the plastic wrap it will pack together better.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are starting to turn light brown. Let them cool, they are one of the few cookies that don't taste as good when they are warm.
This recipe makes a few dozen but largely it depends on how small or large the cookies. 


Shortbread Cookies
    3/4 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups small diced pecans (or whatever nuts you have)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In mixer combine butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla extract. In another bowl, sift together the flour and salt, then add them to the butter/sugar mixture. Add the nuts and mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.

Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick and use a cookie cutter to shape. Or slice the log into 1/2 inch slices. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment