Friday, August 24, 2012

Roasted Garlic

Girls club! I wanted to make something light and easy after all the zucchini breads (Morning Glory MuffinsZucchini bread with chocolate chips) and I have wanted to try to make roasted garlic since it seems fairly easy and is just so tasty.

Roasted garlic is buttery, smooth, and spreads nicely on fresh bread... or mashed into some potatoes, or added into tomato sauce, or mixed into some pasta... its just wonderful and comforting.

I meant to take pictures of it being served with the bread, but we were hungry and I forgot.

 Remove tops with a sharp knife, place on foil, and cover in olive oil
 Place on baking sheet, this happens to be next to some "homemade" Pillsbury french bread
It is done when it is soft and easy to get out of the skins. I just checked in the foil at the 20 min mark and at the 40 min mark. At 40 minutes I decided it looked like the cloves would be easy to remove when I poked at it.

I served it on some "home cooked" Pillsbury french bread with some seasonings to pick from: oregano, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, black pepper.

5 of us ate the loaf of bread and 1 bulb of garlic, it was plenty but we probably could have snacked on some more.

Next time? Serve with some fancy homemade bread (I'm feeling an onion rosemary focaccia bread). I could try to commit to one oil dipping mixture with seasonings to make it a little easier for spreading/tasting. I would also consider roasting the garlic with some flavors such as salt and pepper.

Roasted Garlic
Makes however many bulbs of garlic you want to make

Preheat oven to 400F
Peel away some of the garlic papers but leave enough to hold the bulb together.
Cut a bit off the top so you can expose the cloves of garlic. Keep the top pieces if there is garlic in them.
Place the garlic pieces and tops onto some foil
Drizzle a few teaspoons of olive oil and make sure its covered
Seal up the foil into an evelope
Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until soft
Use a fork to pick out the cloves of garlic or use your fingers to squeeze the garlic out of the bulb.
Add to whatever you are making!

No comments:

Post a Comment