Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cream of Chicken Soup

Winter is coming!! And I want to add to my soup repertoire (?). I found this recipe on Pinterest. We all know I'm not very good at following directions... but I also imagined it to be thick like a chowder which was not correct so I made some changes to make it what I wanted it to be. The verdict? A yummy thick soup.

Next time, I'll add potatoes. I think I would dice up the potatoes, and put them in a few minutes after I put in the carrots and celery.

First I prepped the chicken since directions called for it to be cooked in the oven. However, this takes way too long. Next time, I'll dice it up and cook it in the pot. Less dishes too. Love that! Or use a rotisserie chicken and toss the chicken in at the end. Now that would just make things too easy...
 
While the chicken was cooking I sliced up the onions, carrots, and celery. I did a lot of celery because I wanted to use the whole bunch up.
 Melt some butter.
When butter is hot and foamy add in the veg! Saute onions, carrots, and celery in the melted butter.
 Once softened add the flour. Stir it around well so it coats all the veggies. (My chicken wasn't cooked all the way so I threw it in the pot to let it all simmer together.)
Add chicken broth and milk. (I forgot chicken broth...and used the dried bullion cubes, I think that is why it looks so yellow in the picture).
 Top with some green onions/scallions and serve!



Cream of Chicken Soup
Serves 2-3

2 tbsp butter
2-3 cups of diced onion, carrots, celery
2 chicken breast (about 1 pound)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup flour (I wanted it thicker)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp poultry seasoning (recipe calls for 1/2 tsp thyme, but I don't have it)
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
2 tbsp heavy cream (omitted because I forgot to buy it)

Melt butter in a big pot. Add onion, carrots, and celery and cook about 3 minutes. Add bay leaf and poultry seasoning, salt & pepper and cook until soft. (Add diced chicken if you are using raw, let it cook most of the way, about 5 minutes)

Add flour and cook another 2 minutes to make sure everything is coated and butter is absorbed in to it.

Add chicken stock and milk. Let simmer about 20 minutes while soup thickens. Add shredded chicken and then add cream. Top which fresh green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment