Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cheesecake Factory Knockoff: White Chicken Chili

What can you get with 30 minutes, some rotisserie chicken and a few canned ingredients? One of my favorite recipes chili recipes!

I've made it a few times a year the past 3 years. It also freezes well. It is a very spicy, thick, creamy, chili with beans and shredded chicken. Unlike most chili, this can also be made in less than a half hour. If you have ever had the White Chicken Chili and Rice at the Cheesecake Factory, this is this is a copy recipe of it. I Googled several recipes and combined them into what you see below!
Onions and Spices

Please keep in mind, every time I make this something changes. It has been quite some time since I had it in the restaurant so I have no idea if this is still that close it!

Options for the chicken:
If you have left over rotisserie chicken, shred some up and use that (or just buy one, so many uses!). It cuts down the cooking time drastically. If you don't have any, put in the uncooked chicken breast a minute or two after you put in the spices. Let the chicken cook most of the way before adding the beans and broth. With the uncoooked chicken you have some options. You can cube the uncooked chicken, it will cook fast and still fit in that half hour range. Or use larger chunks and let it simmer for longer and then take it out to shred. Personally, which ever cooking method, I like the texture of it shredded than chunks.
Shredding the chicken

This time I also had 1% milk instead of heavy cream since I wanted it for other recipes. I didn't notice a difference that I could remember! So if you are calorie counting, go for it!

If too spicy or not thick enough: I always add in a few cups of rice. The rice thickens it up but also kills some of the heat. The presentation when serving would be a pretty blop of rice in the middle of the bowl. I just dump it in. This is great for left over rice. If not put the rice on to cook before you start, it will be done by the time the chili is done!

Changes? I always make changes, more or less the recipe below is what I follow. If it is too spicy (which I've done when I'm not paying attention...) add in sour cream a tbsp at a time, stir in and let cook several minutes to let the sour cream do its thing.

This freezes well and is easy to make double or halve.


White Chicken Chili
Serves 4-8

2 tbs oil
1 med onion, diced
1 1/2 garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, chili powder/Cayenne powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 can chicken broth
2 cans cannellini beans, drained
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
1/2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup milk

Heat oil in large pot. cook onions until starting to get translucent (5 minutes). Add all the spices and cook together. Add chicken, salt, pepper, chilies and combine. Let chicken cook if necessary (5 minutes). Add broth, drained beans, and cream/milk. Let simmer about 10 minutes, until hot. Add the rice now if you want too. If it is too thick add water until desired consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment