Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tamale Pie

I found this recipe in a magazine the other day, not sure what one though... but here is my adaption of Tamale Pie!

I used a can of kidney beans because that was what I had on hand. I felt it had the perfect amount of kick to it.

I didn't really taste the cheese, so I think it would be fine to omit next time. Or I'd put the cheese on as a layer between the cornbread and the meat instead of mixing it in.

As is, there was a lot of liquid in the meat so next time I would add in 1-3 tbsp of flour to the meat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. The addition of the flour will make a gravy.

Tamale Pie
serves 4

Jiff Corn Bread Mix (needs 1/3 cup milk + 1 egg)
1 lb ground turkey
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp onion powder (or 1 medium onion)
1 1/2 tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 tsp cumin
1 cup cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1 med tomato or 1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 can beans (pinto, black, kidney, etc), drained
1-3 tbsp of flour (depends on how much liquid is in the pan)
1/2 cup green peppers (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F.
Combine corn bread mix according to the package and put to the side.
Brown meat, add onions and garlic.
Add other spices and peppers, stir to combine.
Mix in the cheese, salsa, corn, beans, and tomatoes. Add in flour if the mixture is liquid-y, the liquid doesn't absorb when cooking.
Put in oven safe dish and spread the cornbread batter on top. Cook 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment