Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Update 7/2015: One of the large cookies I made for our wedding favors!
Ah-ha! The perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe!

This is the recipe on the back of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip bag. This recipe has never failed me! One batch makes lots of cookies (5+ dozen), it is easy to double or half as well. You can also make the dough ahead of time (a day or two) and refrigerated it until you are ready to use it.

The cookies freeze well too. Put the cooled cookies in a bag or container, put in the freezer. To defrost put the cookies in the fridge or on the counter. 

Enjoy!

Also see the recipe for my Mom's favorite white chocolate and macadamia nut cookies  or Triple Chocolate Chip cookies!

6/2015 UPDATE: I made 21 batches of this recipe (no nuts) as the wedding favors for my wedding. I baked them in May over 2 weekends. I froze them and they were served 6 weeks later. Folks had no idea that they had been frozen and believed I had baked them in the past couple of days!

After making 21 batches of cookies I have some tips:

  • Use room temperature butter and eggs. 
  • When creaming the butter ensure there are no butter lumps. The butter lumps will melt and cause the cookies to spread and have a lacy edge.
  • Let the dough chill overnight. The cold dough will help the cookies keep their shape, prevent spreading, and the cookies will look more consistent.

Once the cookies were baked I let them cool to room temperature for a couple hours, then put them a container in the fridge overnight so they are cold. The next day I put them in the favor bags and then into the freezer. We kept them in the freezer until the afternoon before the wedding. They defrosted for about 24 hours before being served.

Normally I use my smallest cookie scoop which is about 1 tsp. For these big palm sized cookies I stacked two scoops of cookie dough and used my largest one which is about a tablespoon size.

Oh, and we took some of the funny looking cookies and put ice cream in between two of them to make tasty ice cream sandwiches!

 

Voila!

Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes approx 5 dozen cookies

Ingredients:
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
3/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.
Combine dry ingredients. Beat butter, sugars, vanilla until creamy. Add eggs 1 at a time. Gradually add in dry mix. Stir in chips and nuts. Drop rounded tbs onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 9-11 minutes. (This varies by oven, mine take approx 8 minutes and I make smaller cookies).

No comments:

Post a Comment