Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pizza Dough

While I like to think that everything I make comes out most excellent, it is not always true. I tried to make this well reviewed pizza dough from AllRecipes from scratch. I have never used yeast before and I have never made pizza dough before - so this was an exciting adventure!

This is a no rise dough that can be created and turned into pizza in an hour! 

I used my food processor to combine the ingredients. However when adding the yeast to the flour mixture some of the liquid leaked out the bottom (food processors only can hold limited amounts of liquid). So I think this had a lot to do with the texture of my dough. It was a stiff/biscuit type of dough.

Next time I think I would add a little more oil a tad bit more water or reduce some of the flour. I also dusted the surface quite a bit with flour since I was worried about sticking (those cinnamon rolls have me nervous now!). You should also use cornmeal to coat the pan. While the flour does the job, I think the cornmeal will add a great texture and flavor that flour can't do and the flour added to the biscuit texture of the dough.

One review said to use half the water with the yeast, then add in rest of the water when combining the yeast and flour. Another review used their mixer with the dough hook. I've never used my dough hook attachment, so I'm excited to try the dough next time!

I added in about a tsp of onion powder, garlic powder, and a heaping tsp of oregano to the dough. I liked this flavor and will keep with it. Other reviews used Italian seasoning.

I used a tomato basil jar pasta sauce and the 6 cheese Italian blend from a bag.

I precooked the dough for about 5 minutes as some reviews said the cheese melted before the dough was done, but I don't think that was necessary as the entire thing cooked so quickly in the 450F oven.

One reviewer had an idea for toppings: "My favorite is 1T softened butter and 1 1/2 T garlic bread seasoning spread over the crust. (don't use too much!) Fresh diced tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella , sprinkled with basil and black pepper before and after baking"

But anyways, here are some pictures to tide you over for now and I'll be sure to update!

Yeast
Dough
Dough patted into a ball and let rest
Rolled out!
Sauce and cheese, brushed the crust with olive oil
Baked!

No comments:

Post a Comment