Friday, April 6, 2012

Roast Beef


I was inspired to make a roast beef today, so I went out and bought some an oven roast and called several family members to figure out how to do it.

I purchased a little over 2lb oven roast, used a knife to poke holes in, and put pieces of onion into it. Next I covered it in salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and garlic powder and then popped it in the 350F oven for 45 minutes. I was hoping for a medium rare roast, but it was still raw in the very center. I put it back in the over for another 15 minutes and it was perfect. (However, before putting it back in the oven, I turned it off and let the meat rest about 15 minutes. Then I cut it down the center and saw how raw it was so I put it back in the oven and turned the oven on at 350 and put it in for 15 minutes, so the oven was still reheating up, so I have no idea what that will do to your timing.)

Don't forget to let it rest 15-20 minutes after taking it out of the oven.

Medium rare is internal temp of 140 but it keeps cooking after it comes out, so I took it out at 120. It was still raw in the middle. I found this site which has some recommendations for cooking times. You should also start with a room temperature piece of meat as well (mine was directly from the fridge, that that would affect the cooking time as well).

I don't know why I put the carrots and onions around the pan, it really didn't need too and it wasn't in the oven long enough for them to cook etc. So don't do it. :)

Also, the picture makes the roast look a lot bloodier than it is, but I tried to make beets before I cut the roast. Beets didn't go so well.

I had some friends over the next day and we made some awesome open face sandwiches. We sliced the roast beef thinly and put it on fresh french bread. Topped it with cheese and broiled it until the cheese melted. We ate them too fast to take pictures. Yum!

Roast Beef

2lb Oven Roast
1/4-1/2 medium sliced Onion
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 350F.
Use knife to insert onion pieces into the roast.
Cover the roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Put into oven and let it cook for approximately 40-60 minutes or when internal temperature reaches 120-140 (for medium rare).

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment