|Steamed chicken with salad|
I use about 2 tsp of ground ginger and 1/2 tsp of pepper to flavor the whole 5-7lb chicken.
1) Remove chicken from packaging. Check to make sure the chicken is empty of any guts.
2) Rinse the chicken in cold water, inside and out. Scrub the chicken with salt (inside and out).
3) Put chicken into the large pot. Sprinkle chicken ground ginger and some cracked black pepper to both sides of the chicken, leave it feet sides towards the bottom of the pot. Fill pot with enough water to go about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way up the side of the chicken.
4) Simmer for 20 minutes. Flip chicken. Simmer for another 20-30 minutes. The chicken is done when you poke it and the juices are clear, use a meat thermometer, and when it is not pink anymore. Cue everyone in the kitchen hovering around the stove with a fork and start to eat pieces of the chicken dipped in the broth it cooked in.
5) Let it sit until cool enough to handle then pull all the meat off the bones. Keep the broth, it is great for soups!
Serve with white rice and veggies, you can dip the chicken in some soy sauce for extra flavor too! I have used the chicken in soups, made sandwiches on fresh crusty Italian bread, made chicken salad from it, etc.